What is involved in help desk
Find out what the related areas are that help desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a help desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its help desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward help desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which help desk related domains to cover and 194 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
help desk, Application software, Automatic call distributor, Call board, Call center, Call centre, Comparison of help desk issue tracking software, Comparison of issue-tracking systems, Comparison shopping website, Computer configuration, Computer network, Computer peripheral, Computer security, Customer service, Desktop computer, Digital distribution, End user, Enterprise software, Erlang unit, Fax machines, Flower delivery, Help desk software, Information technology, Issue tracking system, Knowledge base, Mobile commerce, Mobile payment, Mobile ticketing, Online advertising, Online auction, Online banking, Online chat, Online food ordering, Online grocer, Online pharmacy, Online trading community, Online wallet, Personal digital assistant, Point of contact, Private branch exchange, Queue area, Remote Assistance Software, Social commerce, Software bug, Streaming media, Support automation, Technical support, Travel website:
help desk Critical Criteria:
Distinguish help desk engagements and acquire concise help desk education.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– How do we ensure that implementations of help desk products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– Does our organization need more help desk education?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
– Are there recognized help desk problems?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Reason over Application software failures and report on developing an effective Application software strategy.
– Does help desk systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– What is the source of the strategies for help desk strengthening and reform?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– Have all basic functions of help desk been defined?
Automatic call distributor Critical Criteria:
Judge Automatic call distributor quality and explain and analyze the challenges of Automatic call distributor.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once help desk is underway?
– To what extent does management recognize help desk as a tool to increase the results?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of help desk moving forward?
Call board Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Call board projects and pay attention to the small things.
– Does help desk analysis show the relationships among important help desk factors?
– Is maximizing help desk protection the same as minimizing help desk loss?
– Are assumptions made in help desk stated explicitly?
Call center Critical Criteria:
Reason over Call center quality and work towards be a leading Call center expert.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent help desk services/products?
– What proportion of Customer Service calls chats could present day AI technology resolve without assistance in principle?
– What is the average supervisor to Customer Service representative ratio for a fixed route call center?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– What are good examples of us utilizing SMS as a Customer Service mechanism?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as help desk leaders?
– Have you integrated your call center telephony to your crm application?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Customer Service?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– Is Twitter an effective Customer Service tool?
– Do we have past help desk Successes?
Call centre Critical Criteria:
Group Call centre projects and oversee Call centre management by competencies.
– In what ways are help desk vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing help desk?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of help desk?
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software Critical Criteria:
Adapt Comparison of help desk issue tracking software leadership and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Is there a help desk Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the business goals help desk is aiming to achieve?
– Why are help desk skills important?
Comparison of issue-tracking systems Critical Criteria:
Debate over Comparison of issue-tracking systems risks and create a map for yourself.
– How likely is the current help desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of help desk that make it risky?
– Which help desk goals are the most important?
Comparison shopping website Critical Criteria:
Investigate Comparison shopping website tactics and adjust implementation of Comparison shopping website.
– How do we know that any help desk analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Computer configuration Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Computer configuration governance and figure out ways to motivate other Computer configuration users.
– In the case of a help desk project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a help desk project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any help desk project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Does help desk include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good help desk project manager?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Systematize Computer network projects and secure Computer network creativity.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to help desk?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Does help desk appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Why should we adopt a help desk framework?
Computer peripheral Critical Criteria:
Confer over Computer peripheral failures and revise understanding of Computer peripheral architectures.
– How can skill-level changes improve help desk?
– How can the value of help desk be defined?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Use past Computer security visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your help desk processes?
– What are the Key enablers to make this help desk move?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Customer service leadership and look at the big picture.
– Do we, In addition to using short words and sentences, frequently take the time to verify the customers understanding of your message before continuing. Failure to do so might result in a waste of time and frustration for both you and the customer. In doing this, avoid questions such as, Do you understand?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– When you use social media to complain about a Customer Service issue, how often do you feel you get an answer or your complaint is resolved by the company?
– Do we obtain it performance reports illustrating the value of it from a business driver perspective (Customer Service, cost, agility, quality, etc.)?
– How many attempts do you make before you reach the correct person (e.g., number of phone transfers, e-mail forwards, etc.)?
– Why would potential clients outsource their business to us if they can perform the same level of Customer Service in house?
– How long does it take to resolve an issue (e.g., time to receive answer to your question, time to receive permit, etc.)?
– What do you think might typically form part of your organization s overall package from a customer s perspective?
– What are some things you can do as a Customer Service professional to project a positive image to the customer?
– How can recognition of the cultural value of importance of family be helpful in Customer Service?
– What kinds of problems would cause the most Customer Service complaints?
– Ow often do you hear people complaining about poor Customer Service?
– Will revenues from increase in service offset added costs?
– How does your organization categorise its customers?
– How can you restore confidence with your customers?
– Do we Turn service problems into opportunities?
– Do clients enjoy doing business with you?
– What Does Marketing Have To Do With It?
– What is Effective Customer Service?
Desktop computer Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Desktop computer engagements and look at the big picture.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving help desk forward?
Digital distribution Critical Criteria:
Generalize Digital distribution leadership and work towards be a leading Digital distribution expert.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its help desk processes?
– How can we improve help desk?
End user Critical Criteria:
Disseminate End user goals and adjust implementation of End user.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– How do we Identify specific help desk investment and emerging trends?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– How can you measure help desk in a systematic way?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– What are the long-term help desk goals?
Enterprise software Critical Criteria:
Track Enterprise software outcomes and summarize a clear Enterprise software focus.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– Does help desk analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
Erlang unit Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Erlang unit management and grade techniques for implementing Erlang unit controls.
– What is Effective help desk?
Fax machines Critical Criteria:
Devise Fax machines projects and shift your focus.
– Have you identified your help desk key performance indicators?
– What are the Essentials of Internal help desk Management?
– What are our help desk Processes?
Flower delivery Critical Criteria:
Sort Flower delivery tasks and budget for Flower delivery challenges.
– Will help desk deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Help desk software Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Help desk software failures and work towards be a leading Help desk software expert.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of help desk product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Participate in Information technology management and give examples utilizing a core of simple Information technology skills.
– Consider your own help desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Dissect Issue tracking system leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Issue tracking system results.
– How do we measure improved help desk service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we Improve help desk service perception, and satisfaction?
Knowledge base Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Knowledge base outcomes and look at the big picture.
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
– What about help desk Analysis of results?
– How do we Lead with help desk in Mind?
Mobile commerce Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Mobile commerce engagements and prioritize challenges of Mobile commerce.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new help desk in a volatile global economy?
Mobile payment Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Mobile payment tactics and correct Mobile payment management by competencies.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding help desk?
– What killer use cases in mobile payments have not been considered?
– Will mobile payments ever replace credit cards?
Mobile ticketing Critical Criteria:
Track Mobile ticketing failures and innovate what needs to be done with Mobile ticketing.
– Will help desk have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a help desk project?
– Have the types of risks that may impact help desk been identified and analyzed?
Online advertising Critical Criteria:
Chart Online advertising risks and report on setting up Online advertising without losing ground.
– What are the key elements of your help desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed help desk opportunities costing us money?
Online auction Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Online auction adoptions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are specific help desk Rules to follow?
Online banking Critical Criteria:
Match Online banking planning and pioneer acquisition of Online banking systems.
– Does the help desk task fit the clients priorities?
Online chat Critical Criteria:
Discuss Online chat failures and test out new things.
– What kinds of support services (e.g., via e-mail, phone calls, online chat) does the provider offer to its customers and in which languages?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the help desk process?
– What vendors make products that address the help desk needs?
Online food ordering Critical Criteria:
Define Online food ordering strategies and drive action.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which help desk models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who will provide the final approval of help desk deliverables?
– How do we maintain help desks Integrity?
Online grocer Critical Criteria:
Add value to Online grocer adoptions and separate what are the business goals Online grocer is aiming to achieve.
– What are our best practices for minimizing help desk project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the help desk project lifecycle?
– How will you know that the help desk project has been successful?
– How to deal with help desk Changes?
Online pharmacy Critical Criteria:
Debate over Online pharmacy tactics and define what our big hairy audacious Online pharmacy goal is.
– How will you measure your help desk effectiveness?
– How do we go about Securing help desk?
Online trading community Critical Criteria:
Administer Online trading community management and finalize the present value of growth of Online trading community.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the help desk process?
Online wallet Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Online wallet issues and do something to it.
– Is the help desk organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Personal digital assistant Critical Criteria:
Talk about Personal digital assistant results and assess what counts with Personal digital assistant that we are not counting.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your help desk strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect help desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
Point of contact Critical Criteria:
Chart Point of contact leadership and grade techniques for implementing Point of contact controls.
– How do we go about Comparing help desk approaches/solutions?
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Private branch exchange quality and create Private branch exchange explanations for all managers.
Queue area Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Queue area decisions and change contexts.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether help desk goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Remote Assistance Software Critical Criteria:
Infer Remote Assistance Software projects and report on setting up Remote Assistance Software without losing ground.
– What is the purpose of help desk in relation to the mission?
– Are accountability and ownership for help desk clearly defined?
Social commerce Critical Criteria:
Reason over Social commerce decisions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
Software bug Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Software bug failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Software bug decisions.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a help desk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the help desk process available?
– How do your measurements capture actionable help desk information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do we keep improving help desk?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Test Streaming media failures and find the essential reading for Streaming media researchers.
– Is Supporting help desk documentation required?
– What is our formula for success in help desk ?
Support automation Critical Criteria:
Look at Support automation adoptions and spearhead techniques for implementing Support automation.
– What are the short and long-term help desk goals?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Check Technical support strategies and plan concise Technical support education.
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting help desk with what users do day-to-day?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your help desk activities?
– Who sets the help desk standards?
Travel website Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Travel website failures and do something to it.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic help desk objectives?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the help desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
help desk External links:
DICK’S Sporting Goods Help Desk & Customer Service
RFMS Help Desk
Spiceworks Help Desk
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Automatic call distributor External links:
What is Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)? – Dialogic
Automatic Call Distributor and UCD Call Distribution
Cloud Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)| Spoken
Call board External links:
How it Works « One Call Board of Texas
[PDF]ROLL CALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: ALSO …
FAQs « One Call Board of Texas
Call center External links:
20 Best Call Center Title jobs (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired
Call Center Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]JOB DESCRIPTION Title: Call Center Associate I Job …
http://nhsinc.org/JOBdescriptions/call center I.pdf
Call centre External links:
i24 Call Management Solutions – Canadian Bilingual Call Centre
Call Centre Helper – Official Site
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software External links:
Comparison of Help Desk Issue Tracking Software – …
Comparison shopping website External links:
Best Comparison Shopping Website – …
Computer configuration External links:
Computer Configuration Check – Tribridge
Computer Configurations – technet.microsoft.com
[PDF]Windows 10 Computer Configuration Guide – SoniClear
Computer network External links:
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Computer peripheral External links:
Starmax India – Computer Peripheral
What are some examples of computer peripheral devices?
Computer security External links:
Introduction to Computer Security
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
Computer Security Products for Home Users | Kaspersky Lab …
Customer service External links:
Customer Service | Progressive
Customer Service – Wells Fargo
Capital One Customer Service | Contact Us
Desktop computer External links:
What is a Desktop Computer?
[PDF]For Desktop Computer Users
Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Tiny Intel Quad Core i5-6500T, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, W7P / W10P Desktop Computer, 3 YR WTY: Computers & Accessories
Digital distribution External links:
HearYou Digital Distribution
Woovit, a digital distribution platform
Digital Distribution to World’s Largest VOD Platforms
End user External links:
End User License Agreement – PlayMaker
Enterprise software External links:
Cloud Enterprise Software Specialized by Industry | Infor
Aspen Grove Solutions – Property Enterprise Software
Kadince – Enterprise software for financial institutions
Fax machines External links:
Troubleshooting Your XFINITY Voice and Fax Machines
Brother Fax Machines
Flower delivery External links:
1-800-Flowers.com – Flower Delivery | Fresh Flowers Online
Flower Delivery & Florist – Send Flowers – BloomThat
Help desk software External links:
Ken Garff IT Department – Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
SysAid Help Desk Software
Customer Support Software, B2B Software, Help Desk Software
Information technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Issue tracking system External links:
Transoft – Issue Tracking System
Issue Navigator – FBS’s Issue Tracking System
Login – Smart issue Tracking System
Knowledge base External links:
Knowledge Base, Manuals & Downloads
Carbonite Support Knowledge Base
Comporium’s Help Center – Comporium Knowledge Base
Mobile commerce External links:
ReplyBuy | Mobile Commerce + Marketing Automation
Mobile Commerce | Masterpass Digital Wallet | Mastercard
Ready for Next – Mobile Commerce – CyberSource
Mobile payment External links:
Mobile payment (eBook, 2013) [WorldCat.org]
Digital Mobile Wallet & Mobile Payment Systems – PayPal US
Why the U.S. Lags the World in Mobile Payments – Money
Mobile ticketing External links:
Mobile Ticketing | Oklahoma City Thunder
MOBILE TICKETING NOW AVAILABLE FOR COMMUTER …
LYNX Mobile Ticketing | LYNXPawpass Customer Portal
Online advertising External links:
Wippl – Caribbean Online Advertising
Online auction External links:
LastBid Online – Online Auction Site
BIDRL.COM Online Auction Marketplace
Online banking External links:
Bank of America | Online Banking | Sign In | Online ID
TD Bank Online Banking
myBranch Online Banking Log In | Security Service
Online chat External links:
Instant Chat Rooms – Free Online Chat
Free Online Chat Rooms – Wireclub
Contact HP – Online chat options | HP® Official Site
Online food ordering External links:
Frankies Patriot BBQ Clearwater – Online Food Ordering
Online Food Ordering
Online grocer External links:
Safeway – Groceries Online | Online Grocery Delivery
Hornbacher’s Grocery – Online Grocery Made Easy! Same …
Online pharmacy External links:
Thailand Online Pharmacy | BestMedsUSA
Canada Pharmacy Online Pharmacy | BestPrice!
Online trading community External links:
WORLD’S LARGEST ONLINE TRADING COMMUNITY LAUNCHES NEW …
Online Trading Community – Home | Facebook
Forex Trading – Options Trading – Online Trading Community
Online wallet External links:
OTTOCOIN dot Cash – OTC Online Wallet
Personal digital assistant External links:
[PDF]A personal digital assistant (PDA) pro- public and …
Point of contact External links:
One Point of Contact Campsite Reporting System | …
Site Point of Contact Portal
Signature Bank | A Single Point Of Contact
Private branch exchange External links:
PBX (private branch exchange) – Gartner IT Glossary
PBX (Private Branch eXchange) – The Tech-FAQ
Queue area External links:
Queue area – definition of Queue area by The Free Dictionary
Local System Queue Area – TheFreeDictionary
ESQA – Extended System Queue Area | AcronymAttic
Remote Assistance Software External links:
Eurocomp eSupport Remote Assistance Software
Remote Assistance Software. Which Edition to buy? What …
Remote Assistance Software for IT Support – Free Account
Social commerce External links:
Influencer Social Commerce | SOULER
Social Commerce (@ghiggchannel) | Twitter
Social Commerce Software – Social Media Integration …
Software bug External links:
Apple fixes software bug in iPhone 6 – Sep. 26, 2014
iPad software bug fix? | Verizon Community
What is Software Bug? – Definition from Techopedia
Streaming media External links:
Compare Internet TV Streaming Media Services | finder.com
Streaming Media Players: Comparison Chart | Tech for …
Streaming Media Services – technet.microsoft.com
Support automation External links:
Support Automation and Insight Remote Support | HPE™
Ada — Support automation made simple
Technical support External links:
Life Fitness Technical Support – Welcome
ASISTS | Adult Student Information System & Technical Support
DFEH Technical Support